When it comes to the best mascaras on the market, we’re looking for serious lift, volume, and general va va voom? After all, if you’re not genetically blessed with naturally full, curled lashes, you might have found that a couple of coats of the wrong formula results in clumping and that sad, weighed-down effect.
Thankfully, we’ve rounded up the best mascaras for short lashes right here, right now. As you scroll, you’ll notice that our top picks come in an array of different formulas — from long-lasting to waterproof, to tubing — but don’t be afraid to mix, match, and layer. New York City-based makeup artist J Guerra advises starting with a lengthening formula, letting it dry, and then following up with a curling formula. “This combo can give your short, straight lashes the ultimate boost.”
In terms of application, makeup artist Amrita Mehta recommends curling from the tips of the lashes downwards. “When applying mascara,” she says, “I first focus on building at the base, then work my way to the tip of the lashes in a zig-zag pattern to create lift, volume, and separation.” However, as much as we would love to swipe on mascara and go, a little prep work might go a long way. Makeup artist Molly R. Stern swears by Shu Uemura’s lash curler to create an eye-opening shape pre-mascara, while Benjamin Puckey gives clients a midday lash boost using a heated lash curler. Per Puckey, these tools “work great at lifting lashes that already have mascara on them.”
Here, we take a look at the best mascaras for short lashes, ranging from tried-and-true editor picks to splurge-worthy finds, and more.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Chanel Le Volume De Chanel, $38
- Best Volumizing Mascara: Too Faced Better Than Sex, $29
- Most Allure Accolades: Lancôme Definicils High Definition Mascara, $33
- Most TikTok-Famous: Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Sky High Mascara, $13
- Best Tubing Mascara: MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash Mascara, $27
- Best Mascara for Round Eyes: YSL Beauty The Curler Mascara, $29
- Best Waterproof Mascara: Clé de Peau Beauté Perfect Lash Mascara, $55
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.