You’re probably fully stocked on all of the latest face creams, but what about one of the best body lotion products for your rougher areas? Aside from sun protection, moisturizer is arguably the most important element of any skin-care routine. “Moisturizer doesn’t just add water back into your skin, it also traps in the water you already have to plump it up and protect it,” Mona Gohara, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at Yale University, previously told Allure. But try as we might, so often, the skin-softening process ends at our necks.
That is, until now. It’s time to heed expert advice and find the body moisturizer that’s going to make every inch of your skin happy. “Your skin absolutely needs moisturizer,” says Gohara. “Your skin is the biggest organ in your body. It’s not bloody or gutsy, but it’s still an organ, and organs need water.”
The easiest way to get the rest of your body in on the hydrating action? Slather on a luscious lotion that’s formulated with nourishing ingredients that enhance your skin type to look and feel its best. Nava Greenfield, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at Schweiger Dermatology Group in New York City, says some of the best ingredients to look for in your body moisturizers include emollients like hydrating hyaluronic acid and moisturizing additives like glycerin, ceramides, and oils derived from coconut, almond, avocado, or jojoba. She also says to look for formulas that include free radical-fighting antioxidants like vitamins B, C, or E.
According to James Y. Wang, MD, a board-certified dermatologist based in Los Angeles, mildly exfoliating body lotions are ideal for all skin types, especially those who have concerns over body acne. “This is especially important in acne-prone skin because the skin barrier is disrupted and there is underlying inflammation,” he says. “Lotions that contain mild glycolic, lactic, or salicylic acid can be helpful as long as they are not overused, which can lead to sensitivity.” Dr. Greenfield also adds that acne-prone skin types should avoid ingredients that are considered occlusive, including heavy, petroleum-jelly-based creams or oils because they can trap bacteria under the skin.
Now, ready for dolphin-level hydrated skin? Whether you prefer a frill-free body lotion, a luxurious cream, a lightweight oil, or a rich balm, these products are guaranteed to wrap your skin below the chin in some serious TLC.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Love Beauty and Planet Murumuru Butter & Rose Delicious Glow Body Lotion, $9
- Best for Mature Skin: Charlotte Tilbury Magic Body Cream, $65
- Best Body Lotion for Sensitive Skin: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, $19
- Best Fragrance-Free Body Lotion: Nécessaire The Body Lotion, $28
- Best Oil-Powered Body Lotion: Bio-Oil Body Lotion, $18
- Best Affordable Body Lotion: Nivea Essentially Enriched Body Lotion, $8
- Best Gel-to-Lotion Formula: Jack Black Turbo Body Lotion, $38
- Most Intensively Moisturizing Formula: Summer Fridays Skin Nourishing Body Lotion, $28
- Best for Body Acne: Glytone Exfoliating Body Lotion, $48