As beauty editors, our standards are higher than the average consumer. But that doesn’t mean our favorite formulas are all pricey. For example, the best drugstore foundations seamlessly lay the groundwork for all of our other makeup. (These are just the tip of the steals iceberg — just take a look at our 2023 Best of Beauty Award winners.)
As much as we love a no-makeup day, sometimes we want the extra coverage to even out our complexions and to act as a base for the rest of our cosmetics routines. But not all foundations can get the job done without creasing, caking, or flaking — the best foundations are the formulas you can’t really tell are there at all. And while it’d be great if we could bathe ourselves in luxurious formulations with $50-and-over price tags, our wallets wouldn’t be very happy.
Allow us to introduce tried-and-true (and expert-vetted) favorites that we tested across beauty editors and makeup artists. Cheers to a shopping guide all about drugstore makeup brands that won’t break the bank.
Our Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Maybelline New York Super Stay 24H Skin Tint, $18
- Matte Finish: CoverGirl TruBlend Matte Made Liquid Foundation, $12
- Best Shade Range: Nyx Professional Makeup Can’t Stop Won’t Stop Foundation, $15
- Convenient Stick: Black Opal True Color Foundation Stick, $14
- Holy Hydration: The Lip Bar Just a Tint Skin Conditioner, $17
- Self-Setting: Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Oil-Free Liquid Foundation, $10
- Best Powder: L’Oréal Paris Infallible 24HR Fresh Wear Foundation in a Powder, $17
- Buildable Formula: E.L.F. Camo CC Cream, $15
- Does it All: Milani Conceal + Perfect 2-in-1 Foundation + Concealer, $11
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.